Saturday, February 17, 2007

We Made It!







My photos> mi Dona and her puppy poci, short for poquito,
Entrena where I have training. We have class in little huts.
My Barrio looking off my porch.
My nieces, Geneli and Geobele. Super cute.
Dios Mio! What a journey. We left our airport at 3:30 am on thurs. morning and stood in line at the airport for nearly 3 hours. Waiting for all 31 of us caused us to almost miss our flight. What chaos. Then of coarse we landed after our boarding time for our connecting flight, so we busted our way to the next gate in Miami and made it just in time. Remeber, most of us didn´t have more than

2 hours of sleep the night before, so we were basically walking zombies.

One girl has not yet been able to meet up with us due to flight delays, and we had another decide in Washington D.C. that she wasn´t going.

Now 31 grinos/as here in los barrios outside of Santo Domingo. Since our arrival we are being pumped full of info about health, familia, culture, the land, diseases, chisme (gossip), baseball, spanish, spanish, and more spanish. In my barrio (neighborhood) there are 4 other volunteers, so we´ll be able to transport to ENTRENA (our school) together, either in un carro (taxi) or una guagua (bus). Mi familia es excelente. I have 1 hermana (sister), 2 hermanos (brothers) and and 2 neices, ages 3 and 13. They were a great Icebreaker the first night. They are much better off than the majority of the barrio. We have a TV, a computer, the internet, hot water, a beautiful front porch, and I have my own room with a lock on the door. I really couldn´t be any luckier.

As I write, I´m looking out through the steel bars of the window, over my front porch at the street below. I see flowers of all colors, children running around with no concern por nada, people talking chisme, cars passing and I hear music. Merengue, bachata, reggueton, and balada are played at every minute of the day. Always music outside. Always people. Always gossip. Always smiles. People here are relaxed and happy.

Life here will be great adjustment for me. I´m having a harder time than I expected. Every day I learn something new. Every day I enter my barrio as a baby, taking first steps into the dominican lifestyle.

It is scary at first, but it will get better every day. My spanish is improving already.
Ojala que vayan bien

No comments: