Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Transportation y La Zona Colonial






Wow, what an experience! Today we went to La Zona Colonial, the colonial center of Santo Domingo. We toured the houses where Cristobol Colon and his son, Diego lived. They also showed us the Peace Corps Office, the Hospital, and the hotel we can stay at when visiting the capital.
We started at Entrena, our training site, this morning at 8am. Then we took a concho to a guagua that is called 10B. There isn't a 10A or 10C, the guy just liked 10B for some reason so decided to name his buses this. They pack you into these guaguas like sardines. If a seat was made to seat 4 comfortably, 5 0r 6 should fit in the Dominican. This past week, not only have I received vaccines in both my arms, but my

glands in my armpits are swollen and sore from trying to fight off some unknown illness, so being pressed up to a stranger was extremely uncomfortable. In addition, you fear for your life for many of the conchos and guaguas look like they have been in one too many accidents and some don't have anything between you and the metal framing of the car. But No Worries Right!!?? Many Dominicans have used these for years and seem to still exist.
Next week I will be going out to a site of an IT volunteer. We are expected to find this place on our own. I think they are trying to get us as used to the transportation system as possible before they send us out. I will be staying with this volunteer for 4 days, just seeing what she does in daily life and what she is working on. I'm a bit nervous, but I'm sure I will survive.
I've been in country for a week now and I'm not sure how I feel. A bit intimidated I guess. Everyone is doing such great things with the Peace Corps. I hope I can find my nitch and succeed as well.
The pictures are of me at PC headquarters, la zona colonial, and a guagua. this is how the guaguas look as they drive down the highway. The money collector, cobrador, hangs out the door and tries to convince people to take his guagua instead of others, even if your not going where he is going!

2 comments:

Papa said...

Amazing Technology. It almost seems like we are there with you. Without the hardships.

Anonymous said...

Hope your tummy is doing ok! :) -patricia.