Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A breath of cold air

Welcome to Florida where the sun is hot, the building are cold, the grandpas are witty, and the babies are beautiful.

Ok, Florida just might be as hot, or even hotter, than the DR, but nobody would realize it because every single place that humans exist there is A/C. I was never so aware of this. I have spent maybe a total of 1 hr without A/C since I arrived here 4 days ago. From the A/C car to the A/C house to the A/C mall to the A/C restaurant. I'm definitely not complaining. I haven't NOT sweat this much in 6 months.

Also, I'm truelly happy I took this opportunity to spend some time with Patty's family, Grandpa and Leah (my long lost cousin). It's always great to reconnect with your roots.


Patty, Me, and Sweet Baby Grace























Shopping. Way too much shopping. I did find these super cute sketchers. They have all dominican bling bling I need to fit i











Leah, my cousin, who I haven't seen in 15 years.
What an incredible woman. We visited the Venice Beach, had lunch and dinner with grandpa, shopped for laptops and visited her daughters Montessori School.



















Grandpa. Just as Witty and Clever as we could ever remember. After 25 years, I finally sat down and learned how to play Bridge, grandpa's favorite past time.














John, Patty's new husband. Offering a night cap after a night of fine dining, cigar bars, and spin the bottle in downtown Ft. Myers.









Overall, being back has been a real treat. Great food, wonderful hosts, precious baby time, A/C, and free long distance.
It started out being a little awkward being back in the states. Some old ordinary tasks seemed so new and foreign to me. I caught my self wanting to: throw my toilet paper in the waste basket instead of the toilet, turn off the shower in between lathering up and rinsing off, prepare my conversations in my head in spanish before making a phonecall, and hug, kiss, or shake hands with everyone that comes along.
The change of perspective has opened my eyes again. When I'm in my campo, I sometimes feel so wrapped up in everyday life in the DR that I lose focus on the bigger picture, the overall outcome. Taking this step back has allowed me to see the projects that need to get rolling and just how important my role is in keeping them all organized and motivated.

No comments: